The Analytical laboratory of the Federal Institute of Industrial Research, Oshodi (FIIRO-ANALAB), is a well-equipped laboratory with state-of-art analytical equipment professionally and skillfully manned by trained experts/analysts. The division renders services to individuals, corporate organizations, Small and Medium Scale Enterprises (SMEs), researchers, students in tertiary institutions, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), government agencies, private and public enterprises amongst others. Routine and investigative analyses are conducted for variety of products ranging from raw materials, agro-allied products, industrial products, animal feed, food products, water, industrial effluents, beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic), cosmetics (soaps, toiletries, creams, lotions, and liquid detergents), fine chemicals, solid minerals and other essential products for registration with the National Agency for Food Drug Administration and control and the Standards Organization of Nigeria (NAFDAC/SON).
Facilities available include the following:
1. Gas chromatography-Mass Spectrometer (GC-MS)
2. Atomic Absorption Spectrometer (AAS), with graphite furnace and Mercury Vapour kit.
3. Ultra Fast Liquid Chromatography (UFLC)
4. High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC)
5. Diode Array 7200 Analyzer (NIR-DA 7200)
6. UV/Vis Spectrophotometer
7. Rapid Moisture Analyzer
8. Kjeldahl Equipment
9. Fat Extractor (Soxtec)
13.Melting point apparatus
1. Analysis of raw materials
2. Analysis of intermediate/finished products
3. Analysis of foods, beverages, feeds, water and waste water.
4. Analysis of additives (e.g. preservatives e.t.c)
5. Analysis of trace elements and metals
6. Analysis of heavy metals
7. Analysis of vitamins (water and fat soluble)
8. Characterization and identification of organic compound/constituents of samples.
9. Assay determination of fine chemicals and salts.
10.Solid mineral analysis.
11.Analysis of toxins (e.g. cyanide, aflatoxin e.t.c)
12.Analysis of oil and fat
13.Analysis of cosmetics
14.Analysis of hard wood charcool
Quality Assurance & Quality Control Services
FIIRO’s analytical laboratory undertakes routine quality control and safety evaluation checks on foods and food products for the purposes of registration of the products with National Agency for Food Drug Administration and control (NAFDAC) and for ascertaining standards specifications as set down by Standards Organization of Nigeria (SON).
Protein, total sugar, starch, Ether extract, crude fibre, ash, carbohydrate, trace elements, vitamins and cholesterol.
We also offer microbiological analysis and safety evaluation of food and non-food materials. The services provided include the following:
1. Evaluation of total viable aerobes, yeast, mould, coliform, E-coli e.t.c
2. Detection of Salmonella, Shigella, Staphylococcus and other pathogenic species
3. Consumer complaint investigations
4. Shelf-life studies
Training of personnel on quality control analysis
Training of personnel on operational use of instrument (AAS, HPLC, UV/Vis Spec, GC-MS)
CONTACT THE DIVISION
Dr. (Mrs) Adebukola Selimot Huthman
Deputy Director (Analytical Laboratory Marketing)
PhD (Chemistry), MSc (Environmental Chemistry), PGD (Analytical Chemistry)